Age Determination of Catastrophic Events
(the age dating of rocks and minerals) is one of the most fundamental
fields in earth science because its application can provide constraints to
the timing of geological events and the evolution of the Earth and Solar
In the past, it has been reported that there are quit a good number
of significant events happen in the region of Asia, for instances, mass
extinction, meteorite impact ... etc.
However, these have not been well studied before, especially the
timing of the events.
As one of the geochronology laboratories in this region, we are
also working on the age determination for these catastrophic events in
1. Lo, C.H., Chen, P.-J., Tsou, T.-Y., Sun, S.-s. and Lee, C.-Y. (1999) Age of Sinosauropteryx and Confuciusornis - 40Ar/39Ar laser single-grain and K-Ar dating of the Yixian Formation, NE China. Geochimica 28, 405-409.
2. Lo, C.-H., Chung, S.-L., Lee, T.-Y. and G.-Y. Wu (2002) Age of the Emeishan flood magmatism and relations to Permian-Triassic boundary events. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 198, 449-458.
3. Lo, C.-H., Howard, K.T., Chung, S.-L. and Meffre, S. (2002) Laser-fusion 40Ar/39Ar ages of Darwin impact glass. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37, 1555-1562.
4. Ali, J.R., Lo, C.-H., Thompson, G.M. and Song, X. (2004) Emeishan Basalt Ar-Ar overprint age-clusters define several tectonic events that affected the western Yangtze platform in the Meso- and Cenozoic. Jour. Asian Earth Sciences 23, 163-178.
5. Zhu, R., Lo, C.-H., Shi, R., Shi, G., Pan, Y. and Shao, J. (2004) Paleointensities determined from the middle Cretaceous basalt in Liaoning Province, northeastern China. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 142, 49-59.
6. Zhu, R, Lo, C.-H., Shi, R., Shi, G., Pan, Y. and Shao, J. (2004) Is there a precursor to the Cretaceous normal superchron? New paleointensity and age determination from Liaoning province, northeastern China. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 147, 117-126.
7. Chou, S.-J., Lo, C.-H., He, Y.-A., Zhang, J.-G., Iizuka, Y., Na, J.-Y., and Yeh, T.-K. (2009) Argon Isotopic Dating of Neolithic Jade Artifacts and Raw Materials from eastern China and its Implications. Terr. Atmos. Ocean. Sci. 20, 501-509.
8. Tegner, C., M. Storey, P.M. Holm, S.B. Thorarinsson, X. Zhao, C.-H. Lo , M.F. Knudsen (2011) Magmatism and Eurekan deformation in the High Arctic Large Igneous Province: 40Ar–39Ar age of Kap Washington Group volcanics, North Greenland. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 303 (2011) 203–214.
9. Chou, S.-J., Zhang, J.-G., He, Y.-Ao, Liou, Y.-S., Chen, Y.-F., Shish, H.-Y., Lee, J. K-W., Burr, G.S., Lien, W.-F., Teng, M.-H. and Lo, C.-H. (2014) Discovery of the Earliest Synthetic Carborundum (SiC) in Neolithic Jade Artifacts in Eastern China Terr. Atmos. Ocean. Sci. 25, 537-544.
10. Wang, Y., He, H., Ivanov, A.V., Zhu, R., Lo, C.-H. (2014) Age and origin of charoitite, Malyy Murun massif, Siberia, Russia. International Geology Review 56, 1007-1019.
11. Chualaowanich, T., Sutthirat, C., Pisuttha-Arnond, V., Hauzenberger, C., Lo, C.H., Lee, T.Y., Charusiri, P. (2014) Geochemical Characteristics and New Eruption Ages of Ruby-Related Basalts from Southeast Kenya. Journal of Earth Science 25, 799-821.
12. Lee, C.-Y., Chen, M.-L., Ditchfield, P., Lin, H.-M., Lin, L.-H., Lo, C.-H., Pollard, M., Tsai, H.-K. and Wang, P.-L. (2016) Diet and subsistence mode of Neolithic Yuan-Shan people in Taiwan: perspective from carbon and nitrogen isotope analyses of bone collagen. Archaeological Research in Asia 7, 18-27.